An update has been published regarding the independent review of access to new medicines report by Dr. Brian Montgomery and the comments provided by the Scottish Government.
The progress on the following recommendations was discussed:
- Data recommendations
- Patient and Clinician Engagement in Decision Making
- Transparency of SMC decisions
- End of Life, orphan and ultra-orphan medicines
- Managed Access Schemes and Conditional Acceptance Options
- Demand on SMC and associated processes
- Learning from other Health Technology Assessment processes
For further recommendations on which work has not yet been completed, an update will be provided to the Committee, in Spring 2018.
In addition to the Montgomery Review, changes have been announced for the Individual Patient Treatment Request (IPTR) process for patient access to medicines not recommended for routine use in the NHS Scotland on an individual basis. As a result, IPTRs will be replaced with Peer Approved Clinical Systems (PACS) Tier Two, from 1st February 2018.