Innovate UK and the Medical Research Council (MRC) commissioned Ipsos Mori to carry out a 2-stage review of the Biomedical Catalyst. This report provides the results of the first stage of the evaluation process.
Some of the report’s main findings include:
- projects receiving Biomedical Catalyst funding progress faster than they would otherwise have done
- Biomedical Catalyst funding encourages companies to switch from low risk / low return projects to those with high risk / higher return
- stakeholders agreed that the Biomedical Catalyst aligns with Innovate UK and MRC strategies
- applicants thought the application process was straightforward and encouraged high-quality submissions
- marketing to the biopharma and academic communities was successful
- the Biomedical Catalyst should seek to increase outreach to the medtech community and emerging sectors such as digital health